The sustainable management of water is central to rural livelihoods, food security, electricity and domestic water supply, sanitation and the environment. These issues lie at the heart of a new technical assistance project designed to build capacity in integrated water resources management in Tajikistan. We will be working with Mott MacDonald as partner on the 42-month project, which is funded by the European Union and has a total value of over €4 million.
The project will concentrate its efforts geographically in the Zarafshan sub-basin, although interventions will also be made at a central level. We will provide support in a range of areas including:
- Development of water sector policy
- Setting up river basin organisational structures
- Development of water management planning tools
- Improvement of irrigation infrastructure
- Strengthening water management community organisations
- Management of watersheds to reduce flash flooding and erosion
- Monitoring and evaluation
The project will coordinate across sub-sectors to make efficient use of this finite resource, and to improve forest, land and pasture management, which all impact on water availability.